Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Holy Spirit - Pentecost

Acts 2:4

All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

We had a great service today at our church. We did hymns of different nationalities to represent the different tongues. We sang them in English of course. It was quite fun. We had a great anthem from the choir called "Fill a Me Up." I did the solo part. For some reason, I was quite nervous and at our practice this morning I kept missing the coming in times. I was nervous because we were doing it without music. It was for the offering. I became calmer before time to sing as the other hymns were good and the Spirit worked with me in helping me to become a little calmer. When it came time to sing it, it turned out wonderful.

After church, we had the ending of the Sunday school for the year and had different things to do for the kids. There was a library corner where some were read to, there was a quilting corner. We had a game for the older kids and adults. Do you remember Name that Tune? That's what we did. It's amazing how many songs you can get when you are in the audience. When I was guessing up front, I couldn't get a one.

After the cakewalk, we listened to the Topeka Children's Show Choir. What a great group of singers. There are about 11 or 12 in the group. They were phenomenal. One of our own from our church is in this group.

Because Myron and I like to sing, we find the Spirit moves us in this way a lot of times. I will be doing something and a hymn or anthem will come to my mind. It could be that it just pops into my head or that something is moving me.

We will be singing again this year at the 4th of July celebration at Grace Episcopal church. A lot of folks come from other churches to be in the choir. It is wonderful singing with 50 to 60 folks or more and sing patriotic songs. This will happen on Saturday, July 3rd since the 4th is on Sunday and we will want to be in our own respective congregations.

Have a great Pentecost season and I hope your day was filled with a Spirit filled celebration at your church.

No comments: